Araujuzon is accessed by the D936 road from Oloron-Sainte-Marie which passes through the north of the commune and continues west to Autevielle-Saint-Martin-Bideren. There is also the D160 road from the southern border where it joins the D115 passing through the length of the commune to the D936 west of the village. The D265 road also links the north of the commune to Narp. The village is close to the D936 and can be reached by a number of country roads.[3]
The Intercity network of Pyrénées-Atlantiques bus network currently has a stop in the commune on Route 850 from Oloron-Sainte-Marie to Sauveterre-de-Béarn.
Hydrography
Located in the Drainage basin of the Adour, the northern border of the commune is formed by the Gave d'Oloron (a tributary of the Gave de Pau River) with its tributary, the Lausset, passing through the commune and joining the Gave d'Oleron near the village. The Ruisseau de la Mousquere rises in the commune and gathers several tributaries while flowing north-west to join the Gave d'Oleron.
The Cassou dou Boue and the Ruisseau de Lescuncette rise in the south of the commune and flow south-east to join the Ruisseau de Harcellane (a tributary of the Lausset).
The name of the commune in Béarnese is Araus-Juzon (according to classical norm of Occitan). The commune name in Gascon is Lajuson.
For Michel Grosclaude,[5] the name comes from lau ("wasteland" or "moor") and juzon ("lower" or "downstream"). Brigitte Jobbé-Duval[6] indicated that Juzon meaning "underneath" gives the place name translating as "underneath Arrau", but more likely "underneath Araux" (Araux is called Araus-Susonin Béarnese).
The following table details the origins of the commune name and other names in the commune.
Paul Raymond noted on page 8 of the 1863 dictionary that the commune had a Lay Abbey which was a vassal of the Viscounty of Béarn. In 1385 Araujuzon had 46 fires and depended on the Bailiwick of Navarrenx. It became a dependency of the Barony of Jasses from 1644 which included Araujuzon, Araux, Jasses, Montfort, and Viellenave. In 1790 the commune was part of the Canton of Sauveterre.[4]
Heraldry
Blazon:
Party per fesse wavy: 1st party per pale, at 1 Or, two cows Gules horned, collared, and hooved Azure one above the other, at 2 Vert an ear of corn of Or; 2nd Azure, Saint Martin haloed mounted on a horse and cutting his cloak with his sword, all Argent.