William Street (Irish: Sráid Liam) is one of the main thoroughfares of central Limerick City, Ireland. The street starts at a junction with O'Connell Street (Limerick's main thoroughfare) and continues in a south-east direction, where it is called Upper William Street. The street is named after William Pery, 1st Baron Glentworth a relation of Edmund Sexton Pery who is credited with the development of the present day Limerick City Centre area known as Newtown Pery.[1]
Architectural makeup
The street is architecturally Georgian in style like much of the Limerick City Centre area. There was a major fire on William Street in May 1860.[2] Prior to the construction of the Limerick Southern Ring Road the street formed part of the N24 route between Limerick & Waterford. It is now part of the R527 road.