Share to: share facebook share twitter share wa share telegram print page

State Gymnasium

State Gymnasium
Map
LocationUnion Drive
Ames, IA 50011
OwnerIowa State University
OperatorIowa State University
CapacityN/A
Construction
Broke groundMay 22, 1911
OpenedSpring, 1913
Construction cost$150,000
ArchitectProudfoot, Bird & Rawson
Tenants
Iowa State University recreational sports
Iowa State Cyclones men's basketball (1913-1946)

State Gymnasium is an arena on the campus of Iowa State University in Ames, Iowa. It was opened in 1913, and once was the school's primary indoor athletic facility, before the opening of Hilton Coliseum. It is located at the corner of Union Drive, just north of the site of the former Clyde Williams Stadium.

The brick building was built in two years at a cost of $150,000. It was intended for use as an armory and fieldhouse, something for which the school had been attempting to get funding since the early 1890s. The Iowa State basketball team played in the arena from 1913 until 1946. Beginning in 1946, home games were held in the Iowa State Armory, which continued until the construction of Hilton Coliseum in 1971. State Gym has since been renovated into recreational facilities, including four basketball courts, a swimming pool (the original home of the swimming team), tennis courts, a 1/12 mile indoor track, and other facilities for recreational sports.

References

42°01′30″N 93°39′10″W / 42.025123°N 93.652869°W / 42.025123; -93.652869

Read other information related to :State Gymnasium/

Kembali kehalaman sebelumnya

Lokasi Pengunjung: 44.221.66.130