The name was derived from the surname initials of eight of the original settlers of 1881: John Grant, Matthew Edge, William Robinson, Thaddeus Mead, Dr. W. W. French, Ezekiel Ackley, Oscar (O.D.) Sheppard, and Hezekiah Knaggs.[4] The community was a station on the Manistique Railway and was given a post office on February 26, 1890.[5]
Geography
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 71.63 square miles (185.52 km2), of which 66.43 square miles (172.05 km2) is land and 5.20 square miles (13.47 km2) (7.26%) is water.
^Pike, Vicki Lustila (July 26, 1973). Germfask, Michigan: Its Pioneers and Development. self-published.
^Romig, Walter, L.H.D. (1986). Michigan Place Names. Detroit: Wayne State University Press. ISBN0-8143-1838-X.{{cite book}}: CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link)