The hamlet was mentioned in 1329 as Craquhy in the Registers of the Abbey of Arbroath. The Registers recorded that they were owned by Walter de Tulloch in 1438, and Alexander of Sturrock in 1509.[2] It had a primary school from 1900 until the 1980s which served the hamlet as well as the surrounding area. It is now served by Letham Primary School. Craichie has expanded through new houses built in the late 20th century and in 2003–4.[3]